Great DPPL Bake-Along
Lemon Coconut Doughnuts Inspired by Please, Mr. Panda
This week on The Great DPPL Bake-Along:
We bake lemon coconut doughnuts inspired by the picture book Please, Mr. Panda by Steve Antony.
AND we invite YOU to bake along with us.
This delightful children's book features Mr. Panda, who hopes his friends display proper manners when asked about wanting a doughnut.
Mr. Panda's buddies have many different reactions to the doughnuts.
Asking for specific colors, demanding all of them, saying "no, go away!" - but he persists until...
....you know what, I encourage you to read the story to find out what happens at the end.
Inspired by the lovely box full of doughnuts Mr. Panda carries throughout the book, I decided to give baking some for myself a try.
My household is vegan, so I looked for a recipe that didn't use eggs or dairy.
I found a delicious Lemon Coconut Donut recipe from Connoisseurus Veg and it was time to bake!
TIPS & TRICKS
- Flax eggs are not difficult to use, like the recipe says just mix it up in a small bowl and let it set for about 10 minutes so the water can soak in to the flax and do its magic.
- I used a piping bag to get the dough into the baking tray, you could get the same result with a plastic bag with the corner cut off, but it's okay to use a spoon and your fingers!
- This recipe includes a modification for making donut holes (donut blobs? - depends on the day!) and that is perfect if you don't have a donut baking tray.
- Accept that you will probably make a mess with the glaze. I know I did, and don't tell anyone but since I let it drip onto a tray below where I was working on the doughnuts I just ate that deliciousness up with a spoon!
- Share with friends, but only if they say "please."
We hope you enjoyed this edition of The Great DPPL Bake-Along.
Check back in two weeks for another delicious installment!