Our policies are driven by community needs, written by staff, and reviewed and revised regularly by the library Board of Trustees. They are written to provide generous access to information while protecting the privacy of our residents and users.
Rules of Conduct
The library is open to all members of the public, and we ask everyone to use our building, collections and services with consideration for others. Our Rules of Conduct prohibit any unlawful activity, smoking, drinking, or other behavior that threatens the safety of the patrons, staff, materials or the library building.
Children under eight years of age must be accompanied and in direct line of sight of a responsible caregiver 16 years or older at all times in all areas of the library.
Internet Access Policy
We want everyone to have a productive and safe online experience. We ask that all computer users in the library follow a few simple rules when they use the internet. All public computers have filtered access to the Internet; however, the library cannot guarantee the infallibility of the filter software. Viewing internet images that display nudity in a sexual context or sexual activity is specifically prohibited. You will find our Internet Access policy covered within the library's Rules of Conduct.
Meeting Room Policy
Our public meeting rooms are very popular, and we have developed policy for residents wishing to reserve and use our three first floor meeting rooms. Your group must be a non-profit, pay a booking fee, and have a majority of the group be Des Plaines cardholders.
Use of Public Bulletin Board and Pamphlet Display
- Posting of materials will be at the discretion of the library.
- Items may be posted for events or activities of tax supported and/or not-for-profit governmental, social, educational, arts, service organizations, and for activities whose proceeds go to charity.
- Theatre, musical performances, and art exhibits notices will be posted due to their cultural and/or educational value.
- Items will be posted up to 4 weeks before the event and taken down following the event. Non-event items will be posted for a period of 90 days.
- Items to be posted must be submitted to the first floor Info Desk and may not exceed 11” x 17”.
Collection Development Policy
Our collection development policy sets purchasing guidelines for everything the library owns. This policy is written with an eye to offering you current, popular, reliable and easily accessible information and entertainment,and covers books, magazines, music, movies, games and electronic resources.
Documents that support this philosophy include: The Library Bill of Rights, the Freedom to Read Statement, and the Des Plaines Public Library’s Mission Statement, Statement of Beliefs and Vision Statement.